Spring is the perfect time to give your lawn some much-needed TLC. After a long, harsh winter in Edmonton, your lawn may be in need of some extra care to get it back to its lush and vibrant state. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or a beginner, taking care of your lawn in the spring is important to keep it healthy and beautiful. In this blog post, we’ll be discussing some of the most important steps you should take to get your lawn lush and healthy and in shape for the warmer months ahead. From mowing to watering and everything in between, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and get started!
Get Your Lawn Spring-Ready: Essential Tips for a Lush and Healthy Lawn in Edmonton
- Mow your lawn at the right height. When it starts getting warmer, your grass will grow faster. It’s important to mow it to the right height so it can stay healthy. Usually, you should mow it to 2-3 inches tall. This will help to shade the roots and reduce the amount of water lost through evaporation. It’s also important to make sure your mower blades are sharp to ensure a clean cut and avoid damaging the grass.
- Fertilize your lawn in spring. This will give it the food it needs to grow strong. Look for a fertilizer that has a higher amount of nitrogen. Nitrogen helps your lawn to grow green and strong. Make sure to follow the instructions on the fertilizer package.
- Aerate your lawn. This means making small holes in the lawn so that air, water, and nutrients can reach the roots. This is especially important if the soil is hard and packed down. Aeration helps to break up compacted soil and promote root growth, resulting in a stronger and healthier lawn.
- Water your lawn the right way. Spring is a time when your lawn needs water, but too much water can be bad. Over-watering can make the roots grow shallow, which makes the lawn more vulnerable to diseases and pests. Instead, water it deeply and not too often. This will make the roots grow deeper, making the lawn more resistant to dryness. A good rule of thumb is to water your lawn two to three times a week. Your lawn will thrive when it gets 1-1.5 inches of water per week.
- Get rid of weeds. Weeds can take over a lawn if you don’t take care of them. Make sure to remove any weeds you see before they can make more weeds. You can do this by hand or use a weed killer, but make sure to follow the instructions on the package. It’s also important to prevent weeds from growing in the first place by maintaining a thick, healthy lawn. A thick lawn will make it more difficult for weeds to take root and grow. If you don’t like dealing with chemicals for weed control it’s best to contact a professional service provider.
Having a lush and healthy lawn in spring in Edmonton, Alberta, requires proper maintenance and care. Mowing the lawn to the right height, fertilizing, aerating, watering deeply and regularly, and removing weeds are some of the key steps to follow. By following these tips, you can create a beautiful, green lawn that is resistant to diseases and pests, and will make your yard look amazing. With a little effort, you can have a lawn that is the envy of your neighbourhood.